Considering the security of its users, Yahoo offers multiple security features in its platform. Some of these security features include Two-step verification, Account key, App Password, SpamGuard, etc. Out of all these, Account security is one of the useful security features to use in your Yahoo account.
Enabling “Account Key” feature for your Yahoo account sends a prompt on your registered mobile device. The notification is generally with a message which reads – Are you signing in as “username” from “Web Browser’s name,” “Operating System’s name”?
With this message you get two options – “Yes” or “No.” When you click on “Yes” option, Yahoo grants access to your Yahoo account, and if you click on “No” option, Yahoo will not allow access to your Yahoo account. Moreover, to make your account more secure, sometimes Yahoo may prompt to enter an “Account Key” (instead of “Yes” and “No” options) which will be sent to your app.
Using this feature minimizes the risk of hacking significantly as one will need to have access to your mobile device to get access to your Yahoo account. You can quickly activate Account Key for your Yahoo Account by following these features:
Steps to Turn On Yahoo Account Key
- Sign into your Yahoo Account.
- Point your mouse cursor over your “Profile Picture” located on the top-right corner of your Yahoo account.
- From the drop-down menu that appears, click on the “Account info” option.
- In the “Account info” window, click on the “Account security” option.
- Under “Account security” window, locate the option – “Secure your account with Yahoo Account Key”. It is generally on the top.
- Click on the “See how it works” button. You will be given a demo as to how to use Account Key option.
- Simply, follow the on-screen prompts to complete the “Account Key” activation process.
So, this is how you can quickly activate Account Key feature for your Yahoo account. However, in case if you ever wish to turn off Yahoo Account Key feature from the computer and mobile app, you can do so easily by following the step-by-step instructions provided below:
Steps to Turn Off Account Key from a Computer
- In your Yahoo Account, take your mouse cursor over your “Profile Picture” located on the upper-right side.
- Select “Account Info” option from the drop-down menu.
- In “Account info” window, click on the “Account security” option.
- Under “Account security” window, locate option – “Yahoo Account Key is enabled”.
- Click on the “Manage” option next to it. A new window will appear on the screen,
- Click on the “Disable Account Key” option located at the bottom of the page.
- Next, click on the “Yes, disable Account Key” button.
- You will get a message that reads – You have disabled Account Key.
- Click on the “Got it” button.
- Account Key feature will be disabled from your Yahoo account.
- From the next time onwards, you will need to sign into your account using your regular password.
Steps to Turn Off Account Key from Mobile App
- Launch Yahoo app on your mobile device.
- Click on the “Menu” icon (three horizontal lines) located on the top-left corner of your screen. A sidebar menu will appear.
- In the sidebar menu, click on the “Key” icon located next to just your Yahoo Mail address on the top. A new screen will appear.
- On this screen, click on the “Manage Account Key” option.
- Under “Manage Account Key” window, click on the “Disable Account Key” option located at the bottom of the screen.
- Next, confirm your action by clicking on the “Yes, disable Account Key” button.
- Then, click on the “Got it” button, Account Key feature will get deactivated from your Yahoo account.
- From next time, you will need to use your regular password to access your Yahoo account.
So, this is how you can quickly turn on and turn off Yahoo Account Key feature from the computer and mobile app. To know more about such features or to get assistance regarding any issue or query for your Yahoo account, feel free to reach our Yahoo customer care team anytime. We offer our services by 24 by 7 toll-free number.